What to Know When You Want to Start Microdosing or Are Microdosing?
Listen to this content
Microdosing has become a popular consumption method among those using psilocybin mushrooms for therapeutic purposes. But what exactly is microdosing, and what are the potential benefits of microdosing psilocybin?
In this introductory guide, we’ll be taking a look at the potential benefits of measured psilocybin intake for those who are considering (or are already) microdosing in Canada.
What is Microdosing?
As the name suggests, microdosing refers to the act of consuming extremely small doses of psychedelics substances like psilocybin mushrooms. Typically taken in a concentrated form, psilocybin has been highlighted for its potential to increase energy levels, improve focus, boost creativity and combat anxiety.
Many of those who microdose psilocybin also report enhanced sensory capabilities and heightened spiritual awareness. Microdosing being the opposite of microdosing, which refers to the consumption of much higher quantities of any given substance in a single measured dose.
How Do You Microdose With Psilocybin Mushrooms?
If you’re out to buy shrooms in Canada, it’s essential to choose a top-rate and reputable shroom dispensary you can count on. In terms of both product quality and purity, standards vary enormously from one vendor to the next.
Once you’ve lined yourself up with some quality shrooms, a typical microdosing process may look a little like this:
- Preparing for Microdosing – There are trial and error involved in the process of working out your ideal psilocybin potency level and dosage size. However, it’s usually recommended to grind dry mushrooms into a powder, before measuring out microdoses of 0.1g each. You can always take more if they don’t have the desired effect.
- Taking your Microdose – Your preferred consumption method is entirely up to you to decide. The most popular option is to measure each individual dose into empty capsules, which can then be swallowed in the quantities needed. An alternative option is to brew psilocybin tea, which simply involves adding the ground mushrooms to any hot drink.
- Schedule your Dosages – Following a schedule when microdosing is important, though advice varies from one expert to the next. Generally speaking, it’s advisable to microdose on Day One, then leave things a couple of days before microdosing again on Day Four. Don’t take any at all on Day Two or Day Three.
- Microdose in the Morning – It’s entirely up to you as to when you take your microdoses, though most prefer to consume them in the morning. This is because you’ll then feel and enjoy the immediate effects of the dose throughout the day, rather than later in the evening when they may not be necessary.
- Continue for Several Weeks – This regime should then be continued for several weeks at least, as it can take some time for microdosing to build towards a long-term cumulative effect. During which time, you should continue your everyday lifestyle as normal, with no specific changes.
Why is Long-Term Microdosing Important?
As soon as you begin microdosing, it’s advisable to keep a journal of the effects you feel as you go. This will provide a helpful source of information to assist you in making alterations to things like dosage size and intervals between consumption.
Ultimately, the idea is to bring microdosing into your daily lifestyle as a routine habit – not something you do on an ad-hoc basis when the mood takes you. Though during the early stages at least, it may take your body and mind a few days to get used to the effects of microdosing, so plan ahead accordingly.
Initially, you’re only likely to feel the effects of the psilocybin immediately after taking it. Over the days that follow prior to your next dose, you’ll probably feel nothing at all. Hence, you may be tempted to microdose on these non-dosing days, but it’s important to give things time.
This is due to the way in which psilocybin has demonstrated an extraordinary capacity to build new neural pathways and neurons, while at the same time repairing certain types of neurological damage. In a similar vein to many types of medication, it takes time for psilocybin to build towards a cumulative effect and deliver long-term benefits.
Examples of which include improving cognitive ability, enhanced mental health, and consistent clarity of thinking.
Why is Microdosing Every Day Not Recommended?
The reason daily microdosing is not recommended is that the human body can build a tolerance to psilocybin if it is consumed too regularly. By leaving a couple of days between doses, you provide your body with the opportunity to expel the psilocybin in an efficient and natural way, without the need to build a tolerance (i.e. resistance) to its effects.
If you were to microdose on a daily basis, the psilocybin you consume would become less and less effective – eventually having little to no impact whatsoever.
Altering the size and strength of your doses along the way may be necessary, though during the first couple of weeks should be kept relatively low. If only for the simple reason that it’s safer (and more sensible) to take too little than to risk-taking too much.
- Medicinal Mushroom Dispensary: 10 Reasons to Use One
- Why People Are Microdosing to Boost Their Careers
- Crossing the Line: The Legality of Psilocybin Microdosing
- How Microdosing Psilocybin Interacts With Other Medications?
- Can Microdosing Be Used to Treat PTSD and Help Extinguish Conditioned Fear?
- Microdosing Psilocybin for Relationship Therapy